Monday, February 2, 2009

Comdirect Changed Their Mind about my Checking Account!

After getting my rejection letter from Comdirect, I emailed them asking if I could provide more information, such as my American credit report and payslips, to prove my suitability for the checking account.

Surprisingly, a human tried to call me, emailed back and said yes! What great customer service! A super plus in my book.

He explained that they work with standardized procedures to open accounts. These procedures enable them to achieve savings, which they pass on to their customers. But this process does not fully take into account the individuality of the applicant.

I took a while to email him my TransUnion credit report and my last few pay slips, because I could not access my free credit reports online. They would not allow me to access the site from Germany. I assume this is to discourage identity thieves, but for Americans abroad, this poses a huge problem. First, I tried to request a credit report by phone. I had to leave a message, but they garbled my first and last name. Machine ineffiency! Next, I asked my sister to pretend to me to access the information in the US. During this process, she discovered that I had a TransUnion account from the last time I requested a credit report. This allowed me to access my TransUnion credit report from Germany, but otherwise, my sister would have had to print, scan, then email my 6-page credit report. A lot of unnecessary work...

No comments: