Saturday, April 4, 2009

American Taxes Filed!

Hooray!

Today I finally filed my taxes after two weeks of research and playing around with Turbo Tax. After this, I feel like I could be a tax preparer!

In my personal case, filing the the foreign tax credit, Form 1116, would have given me a tax liablity, whereas filing the foreign income exclusion, Form 2555, I got a small refund. So try it both ways! Even though the general wisdom I have seen is that the foreign income exclusion usually lessens your tax liability than the foreign tax credit.

I found a great great article from a professional tax expert about the Foreign Tax Credit. He explains the form in simple terms, using an example to fill it out. The site on which I found it is ACA, American Citizens Abroad, and they have a host of practical articles on taxes and other bureaucracy.

Now I just have to prepare my German taxes!

No comments: