Friday, December 12, 2008

Opening a Girokonto bank account with Comdirect

According to Comdirect’s website, there are four steps to opening an account.



  1. Fill out the online application and submit it. This should only take seven minutes.
  2. Print out the application and sign it.
  3. Take the application and a photo ID with you to the post office for identification verification, what is called PostIdent in German.
  4. Comdirect will inform you in writing their decision.

Opening Process

The opening process went very smoothly. I filled out the application and accepted almost all the default options except that I unchecked for opening a ‘Depot’ / securities account.

Interestingly, they also asked me if I wanted to donate my 1 euro per month to my choice among three charities. With this economy, I need that one euro for myself. And I choose to support different not-for-profit groups.

After I submitted the application online, I received notice that if I were to complete the account opening within three weeks, I would get a set of two nice pens for free.

All in all, pretty easy.

Next up: identifying myself at the post office….

No comments: